The Keto Diet Helped Me Lose 60 Lbs. And Break My Food Addiction

 



My name is Kelsey Baker . I’m 26 years old from London, Ontario, and I am a mental health nurse. I decided to try keto in 2017 when I was at a low place in my life and have lost over 60 pounds in the process.

I used to deal with food addiction and binge eating. I was in denial for a very long time about the state of my health and how unhealthy I was both physically and mentally. Growing up, I was always heavily involved in sports. I was constantly active, but that drastically changed when I entered university.

I was really unhappy at school and turned to food for comfort. I developed quite a few unhealthy habits during this time, namely binge eating. I was in a vicious cycle of being unhappy with the direction of my life and turning to food to hide behind a veil of short-term comfort. As I gained weight, it just worsened my already poor self-esteem. I became increasingly self-conscious, so I continued to turn to food for immediate satisfaction. And the cycle went on.

Even at my highest weight of 220 pounds, I was still in a state of denial. I knew I was at an unhealthy weight, but it was never motivating enough to implement a lifestyle change. I would participate in unhealthy crash diets (the military diet, the lemon-cayenne water diet, laxatives, extreme caloric deficit, you name it). Of course, they weren’t sustainable. And I’d answer those failures with binging.

 Continue reading....

 

 

Comments